Sunday, November 8, 2009

Fairies and Dragons


"Little girls dance their way into your heart, Whirling on the tips of angel wings, Scattering gold dust and kisses in our paths" -unknown



I live in a land of fairies and dragons. Most of the time, my fairy is trying to overtake dragonland and an all out war ensues. But sometimes, there is peace amongst them. Today was that day, yesterday was not. Yesterday, my kids were "those kids" that had a fit in the middle of Toys R Us because they didn't want to stop playing with the train table. So, the peace that has occurred today is warmly welcomed after the chaos of the day before.
I love the innocence of children. They still have no idea that the world is not made up of Popsicles, princesses and playdates. I want to hold on to this forever...or at least as long as possible. Amaya will soon be 6 and that to me, is a big girl. She is truly a blessing in our lives and in our home. She is a booming firecracker, but also a beautiful sparkler all in the same. She rules this house with drama, but I wouldn't change her for the world. Her favorite thing in the world is for me to sit and color with her. She LOVES it when I draw a picture of her favorite princess for her and she proudly displays it for all to see as though she is just so proud of me. Today, I sat down with her and she wanted me to draw Tinkerbell (current princess du jour) and so I did. We spent time just coloring and chatting about school and her birthday and Christmas. She really would be so content to just sit all day at the table coloring, cutting, and pasting. Ever since she was little she has had a passion for drawing. She is quite accomplished for her age and I just love the little things she makes for me daily. She also is starting to read more and more. Today she read me Green Eggs and Ham. It was so great to sit and listen to her read me a story. Quite a difference from the hours I used to spend reading to her in bed until she would fall asleep. I used to feel burdened by the fact that I had to read her to sleep, but now that I have seen her love for reading is much like my own, am glad I spent that time with her. I feel blessed to know that I have played a part in helping her become who she is.

No comments:

Post a Comment