Friday, November 6, 2009

Thanksgiving


On FB today I noticed quite a few friends posting about what they are thankful for during this month where we are reminded what we should be thankful for *all year long*. This morning Adam and I got in a petty little argument about nothing really. It took me some time to cool off and reflect (over my cup of coffee) to realize that we are really just arguing over who appreciates whom the most. In some silly little battle I feel I should "win". I need to be appreciated more for all the daily things I do that make the family day run smoothly. He probably feels he should be appreciated more for working looooooooong hours that allow me to stay home and take care of the family. The truth is, we appreciate eachother. I appreciate what an amazing man and father he has grown into. Really, my kids think their dad hung the moon. I am so grateful for that. He would glady be a stay at home dad and play with them all day, but I won that toss up :) I know that he appreciates how much hard work I do around the house and especially appreciates the time I take to teach our kids to be unique, caring and loving individuals. Even though we didn't do things "by the book," we have been laying a path that works for us and learning as we go, with guidance from above. We had kids young and he is developing his career now, I am pushing mine back until the kids are in school. Most of my friends went the more traditional way with establishing careers, then having kids. It works for them and this works for us. We may not have all the *things* they have, but we are still finding our place in this world and we are doing it together. Our kids may not get to do gymnastics, swimming, MDO, dance and all those other "extras", but they get more than their share of "mommy time" whether they like it or not! I am definitely not judging those that do those things, in fact, I am looking forward to doing those things too when we are more able! Right now I am slowing down and enjoying all the time we do get to spend together, because I know too soon they will be running out the door with friends and I will see them in passing as they are off to their separate activities. So, this season of giving thanks...and the seasons to follow, I am going to show my appreciation more for all that I do have, which is an AMAZING family who loves eachother (as my friend Denise says) "to the moon and back". May you all be blessed with cherishing what you have through this season!

1 comment:

  1. Lindsey, I truly cannot wait to meet you in person. You write beautifully and
    I love what you said. The best is how honest you were about not doing things the way other people may, yet it is what works for you and your family! Looking forward to
    future posts.

    ReplyDelete